Creative Shed is a partnership project between The Amber Factory, Derbyshire Virtual School and Derbyshire Eco Centre and was partly funded by Derbyshire Youthinc.
Through many of our creative projects we have seen young people in care develop ‘a sense of belonging’ and ‘a feeling of their own identity and worth’. One thing they have expressed is that they would love a space that they can identify as theirs and somewhere they can make a positive contribution. This project provides opportunities to develop an evolving creative shed space in a temporary structure at the beautiful Eco Centre. The space provides a base for young people in care to realise their ideas and skills.
The creative shed:
- Encourages positive and productive relationships with supporting adults
- Provides space to develop friendships through creative activity and shared achievements
- Gives opportunity for the young people to use both the space/ location/ skills and interests to co produce positive experiences for other young people in care
- Provides a sense of belonging and contribution to the group and the environment
- Creates a shared and accessible space which can support learning experiences as part of wider education i.e. Maths, English, Functional skills, Vocational and Non-Vocational courses
- Builds life skills and specifically social, emotional well-being and confidence
Further develop an enjoyment of the arts through creative activities